In January 2013, a husband was jailed after failing to be transparent with his assets and for his 'deliberate' attempts to conceal his wealth**.
The Co-operative Legal Services
said that some of the most common ways used by dishonest partners to conceal their wealth include:
- claiming cash back and then pocketing or stashing the cash in the runup to a divorce or announcing a split
- making up ficticious debts owed to relatives
- going on a spending spree with a joint credit card
- transfering large sums of money to new partners or family members
- clearing out joint bank accounts - often fraudulently. In one case, a man removed all the joint savings and burnt the money in front of his ex!
It seems it's not only your ex that may be trying to pinch your pennies but one in five divorcees felt that their 'trusted' solicitor acted more in their own interests by increasing their fees unnecessarily.
Christina continued: "It's really important that people realise there are alternatives to the time based pricing that traditionally many legal firms use.
"We know that consumers want transparent, upfront and honest legal fees and so this is exactly how we have designed all of our family law services so that our customers can access fairly priced, fixed-fee legal services that are aligned to their specific needs. This means that they know exactly what the costs are and are not worrying about an excessive bill at the end.
"This is even more important with divorce cases as couples are separating their finances and are often left worse off as a result. Knowing they are in control of their legal costs does give some certainty at what can be a very traumatic time."
The Co-operative Legal Services offers a comprehensive range of family law services which includes divorce, child protection, mediation and financial issues.