Four Organizations Receive APA's Psychologically Healthy Workplace Award, Nine Honored For Best Practices
Bowers + Kubota Consulting offers generous health coverage, flexible work schedules and employee recognition through bonuses and retirement account contributions. For example, the company's wellness program which encourages employees to earn points for making healthy choices in exercise, nutrition and behavioral health has enhanced productivity and helps the company retain high-performing employees.
The Tripler Army Medical Center's flex-schedules, telework options, onsite exercise rooms and fitness programs are some of the workplace practices that helped earn a 2013 award. This has resulted in lower turnover rates along with increased clinical productivity, financial performance and customer satisfaction.
Award winner Triple-S offers a comprehensive onsite health clinic and extensive offerings of medical services, support programs and preventive screenings, all available at work. Its healthy workplace practices have reaped rewards for both the organization and its employees. For example, in 2010, while employees saved time and money by visiting the onsite clinic instead of having to attend outside medical appointments, the company avoided a reported $381,843 in lost productivity.
In addition to the PHWA winners, nine organizations will receive Best Practices Honors for a single program or policy that contributes to a psychologically healthy work environment and meets the unique needs of the organization and its employees. The honorees are the Cleveland Clinic's Mellen Center for Multiple Sclerosis Treatment and Research ( Ohio), St. Luke's ( Minnesota), Tasty Catering ( Illinois), The Harvest Group ( Arkansas) and the University of Southern California. PHWA winners Bowers + Kubota Consulting ( Hawaii), Christiana Care Health System's Helen F. Graham Cancer Center ( Delaware), Triple-S ( Puerto Rico), and Tripler Army Medical Center ( Hawaii) will also receive Best Practices Honors.The Psychologically Healthy Workplace Awards are designed to recognize organizations for their efforts to foster employee well-being while enhancing organizational performance. The program has both local- and national-level components. APA's award program spans North America and is designed to showcase the very best from among the winners recognized by APA's affiliated state, provincial and territorial psychological associations. Nominees are selected from a pool of previous local winners and evaluated on their workplace practices in the areas of employee involvement, health and safety, employee growth and development, work-life balance and employee recognition. Additional factors that are considered include employee attitudes and opinions; the role of communication in the organization; and the benefits realized in terms of both employee health and organizational performance. Awards are given to for-profit and not-for-profit organizations as well as government, military and educational institutions. The Psychologically Healthy Workplace Program is a public education initiative from APA's Center for Organizational Excellence. The Center offers the following resources for employers through its website apaexcellence.org:
- Good Company newsletter, blog and podcast, featuring tips, tools and other resources to help employers create a healthy, high-performing work environment
- A searchable database of professional, academic and popular press literature related to employee well-being and organizational performance
- Case examples and best practices from award-winning organizations
- Conferences, webcasts and online courses for human resource professionals, benefits managers, health and wellness professionals, organizational consultants and business leaders.
- A calendar of events with information about conferences from a variety of disciplines, including psychology, human resources, health promotion and employee benefits
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV