It showed on the shelves. The Trip series between New Belgium and Elysian has produced some inspired varieties that are more akin to limited offerings from smaller breweries in recent years. Does it take you back to New Belgium's early days as a basement brewer?
Jordan: Yeah, which is super fun. We've been doing this for almost 22 years, and I think it's almost a natural part of a process like that when your energy and enthusiasm for it has peaks and mesas, to use the geology of it.
It's been really fun to watch our industry have this burgeoning enthusiasm, to watch beer drinkers be interested in really understanding more about the craft and the history of the American movement and others. We are lucky to be the stewards of something ancient, and I think beer drinkers get that.
Looking at your brewery's 1991 start date, the folks who were born the year you started brewing are now your clientele. Is your brand facing some of the same challenges as first-wave craft brewers such as Sierra Nevada and Boston Beer, which are now old enough to be considered somebody's parents' beer?Jordan: I think there's an element of that. I also think for New Belgium that we were the first brewer in the United States to specialize in Belgian styles. In some ways, we pioneered things where, at the time, we said "Well, I guess no one's interested in wood beer"
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV