At the JP Morgan conference, Delta President Ed Bastian focused on Delta's effort to catch up in the JFK/Heathrow market long dominated by American and joint venture partner British Airways. A deal to acquire 49% of Virgin Atlantic and to form a trans-Atlantic joint venture will make Delta a strong No. 2 player in the market.
"The most important corporate initiative we have at Delta is our win in New York strategy," Bastian said. "We've picked up over seven points of overall corporate market share in New York in the last three years, and as we look in 2013, that's continuing to grow."
On another front, Delta is the official airline of the Mets, Yankees and Madison Square Garden. JetBlue is the official airline of the Jets and the Barclay Center, and United is the official airline of the Giants.
Just where will American squeeze into the equation?Follow @tedreednc -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV