IRVINGTON, N.Y., March 5, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- MELA Sciences, Inc. (Nasdaq:MELA), the medical device company that has developed and is commercializing MelaFind ®, today announced financial results for the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2012.
Fourth Quarter 2012 Performance Highlights:
- Accelerated our rate of signed user agreements, system placements, and the training of new customers in connection with our controlled and deliberate launch of MelaFind in the US and in several key cities throughout Germany.
- Obtained signed user agreements for 115 MelaFind systems in the US and Germany by the end of the fourth quarter.
- Ended the fourth quarter with 95 MelaFind systems installed in dermatologists' offices in the US and Germany and continue to work with customers to train and assist them in using MelaFind appropriately in order to incorporate its use successfully into their practices.
- Entered into discussions with over 100 additional dermatologist practices that either have a user agreement currently under evaluation, or have been classified as "highly interested" by the Company as of year-end 2012.
- Expanded and enhanced commercial sales presence.
- Added territory managers with extensive dermatology sales experience, and as of the fourth quarter, have eight territory managers in the US and four in Germany. Expanded the team of Practice Support managers to five managers in the US and one in Germany to focus on practice-wide adoption of MelaFind.
- Embarked upon several initiatives to promote patient awareness and increased usage.
- Introduced peer to peer videos where dermatologists who are experienced MelaFind users explain how to best use MelaFind.
- Created and distributed in-office literature, posters and tear sheets for dermatologists to better educate patients about MelaFind.
- Announced the engagement of Rpr Marketing Communications, a highly experienced marketing communications agency, singularly focused on dermatology and skincare.
- MelaFind was designated by the Cleveland Clinic as one of the Top 10 Innovations for 2013 based on its significant clinical impact, high probability for commercial success, and significant human interest.
- Completed a simultaneous installation of seven MelaFind systems in a large dermatology practice with over twenty dermatology care providers.
- Trained the entire staff and worked in conjunction with them to launch a large scale one-week melanoma detection campaign.
- During the campaign, over 344 lesions underwent full MelaFind analysis, with overall excellent clinical performance in a real world setting.
"As of the end of 2012, we have completed our first nine months on the market with MelaFind, and are pleased to report that we have escalated the pace of our commercial activities, consistent with our planned deliberate and controlled launch of MelaFind in the US and Germany. We are thrilled with the level of demand we are experiencing and broad based clinician acceptance," said Dr. Joseph V. Gulfo, President and CEO of MELA Sciences. "We look forward to finishing our first year on the market strong and beginning phase two of our launch with a focus on system usage and patient mobilization with a more robust base of customers."