NRG Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NRG), through its wholly owned subsidiary NRG Solar, announced the start of commercial operations for the Borrego I Solar Generating Station, a 26 megawatt (AC) photovoltaic facility located northeast of Borrego Springs, Calif. The station’s electricity will be sold to San Diego Gas & Electric under a 25-year power purchase agreement.
“Borrego is our first utility-scale solar facility providing power to the San Diego area, helping to create local construction jobs and meet SDG&E’s demands for cost-competitive renewable sources of electricity,” said Randy Hickok, Senior Vice President of NRG Solar. “Our large-scale solar facilities provide clean, renewable energy that Californians want for their homes and to power the electric vehicle infrastructure NRG is currently building in California and Texas. Taken together, solar and electric vehicles will go a long way toward reducing our reliance on fossil fuels and our carbon emissions.”
“The Borrego I Solar Generating Station will provide clean renewable solar power for our customers, and is the first utility scale local renewable project to come online in San Diego County since 2006,” said Matt Burkhart, vice president of electric and fuel procurement for SDG&E. “We applaud NRG Energy for their perseverance in getting this project constructed and look forward to more local renewable projects.”
The Borrego facility will generate enough energy to meet the annual needs of approximately 9,000 homes. Using clean solar power also avoids the annual emission of approximately 19,000 tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, the equivalent of taking 3,500 cars off the road.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV