NEW ORLEANS, March 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- HIMSS 2013 -- Almost no other industry uses data like healthcare and the evolution to 'Big Data' has prompted UPMC, the top ranked healthcare provider in Western Pennsylvania in the United States, to apply IP and optical networking technology from Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) to upgrade its information network to leverage the large sets of complex data gathered daily.
Today at HIMSS, the annual healthcare information technology conference, Alcatel-Lucent (booth #1469) announced that it has been selected by UPMC to deploy a new network to provide critical communications services to hospitals, doctors' offices and other sites throughout Western Pennsylvania using Alcatel-Lucent's recently introduced 7950 Extensible Routing System (XRS) - the industry's most powerful Internet protocol (IP) core router. The agreement will also include the supply of advanced 100G (100 gigabit-per-second) fiber-optic technology.
- UPMC is Western Pennsylvania's leading health system with more than 20 hospitals, 3,400 doctors and over 55,000 employees.
- UPMC is a recognized leader in the application of information technology to revolutionize patient care and improve safety through services such as telemedicine and cloud-based services.
- Adoption of 'big data' solutions such as multi-site 'Metro WANs' by healthcare institutions like UPMC can contribute to better point-of-care decisions, fewer readmissions, and operational improvements, pushing beyond current bandwidth limitations.
- Alcatel-Lucent is supplying UPMC with its new 7950 XRS family - based on the 400G FP3 chipset which brings a huge boost in capacity, efficiency and flexibility to the heart of IP networks, while slashing power consumption and increasing cost-efficiency.
- Belgacom and Telefonica recently announced deployment of 7950 XRS, which was awarded the prize of Best New Product (Telecom) by Light Reading in November 2012.
- The UPMC build-out will also include Alcatel-Lucent's proprietary optical coherent technology, the 1830 Photonic Service Switch (PSS).
- The PSS uses Alcatel-Lucent's Photonic Service Engine (PSE), a 400G chip that dramatically enhances the capacity, intelligence and flexibility of data network's such as UPMC's.
Quotes:William Hanna, Vice President, Technical Services, Information Services Division of UPMC said: "Here at UPMC we see our network as a vital tool to support our mission – providing our patients with world-class healthcare. Our ongoing network modernization is ensuring that we remain at the forefront of healthcare innovation. This new project with Alcatel-Lucent, the latest step in our long-standing collaboration, will enable us to not only increase the capacity of our network, but to make our entire enterprise smarter and more efficient, and ultimately improve patient care throughout the UPMC system." Michel Emelianoff, President, Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise said: "The 'big data' needs of large-scale enterprises such as UPMC are breaking down the barriers between traditional IT systems and communications networks. This project with UPMC offers a great example of how advanced IP and fiber optic technologies can enhance the operations of enterprises in a wide array of fields. We are particularly thrilled to play such a critical role in bringing improved healthcare services to the communities that UPMC serves." Additional Information
- Product web site: http://bit.ly/12MByki
- Photos: Alcatel-Lucent 7950 XRS family: http://bit.ly/Z3c4ib
- General ALU Flickr link: http://bit.ly/Z3cKEg
- Videos, slides and more from the Annual Tech Symposium: http://bit.ly/12qhhW7
- Blog: Alcatel-Lucent's New Core Router: off to a big start http://bit.ly/Vnibkj
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts