The last six months, on the other hand, have been pretty rough for $4 billion communications stock Frontier Communications (FTR). Shares have slid nearly 10% over the time, underperforming the broad market's move higher by close to 20%. But you don't have to be an expert technical analyst to see why shares look likely to keep on moving lower.
FTR has been in a well-defined downtrend since the end of the summer. It's significant that FTR's trading channel is well defined; it means that we've got a high-probability range for shares to keep moving within. So now, with shares sitting near the middle of the channel, there's considerable room for TRQ to move lower before they can catch a bid again. Maybe worse, there's also a ton of room that this stock can move higher without actually breaking its downtrend. That fact could lure in more unsuspecting buyers only to have shares keep bouncing between trendline resistance and support.
I'd recommend avoiding this stock altogether until it exits its channel.To see this week's trades in action, check out the Technical Setups for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV