The aircraft's innovative design makes it much quieter during take-off and landing and more fuel efficient than its predecessors. British Airways has ordered 12 for delivery by 2016 as part of a £5bn investment over five years in new aircraft, smarter cabins, elegant lounges, and new technologies to make life more comfortable in the air and on the ground.
Keith Williams, British Airways' chief executive, said: "This will be a very special premiere. The A380 is a great aircraft that has been developed with huge amounts of British engineering ingenuity. London and Los Angeles are two world-leading cities, and we are proud to be the first airline to connect them with the A380."
The arrival of the A380 has entailed a multi-million pound redevelopment of British Airways' Heathrow engineering base to support maintenance of the world's largest commercial aircraft type. This included two 24-ton roof 'eyebrows' being lifted into place in one of the hangars to raise the height of the entrance to accommodate the A380's 24-meter tailfin.
Notes to Editors:
- More details are available at: http://www.britishairways.com/en/information/flight-information/airbus-a380
- Customers are advised that the flights going on sale today are unlikely to be the inaugural or very first flights of the new aircraft. British Airways will finalize the dates of the inaugural flights over the next few months.
- The celebratory fares from Los Angeles apply to the route and are not aircraft specific.
- The offer runs from March 5 to March 13, 2013 for selected travel dates. Seats are limited and subject to availability.
- All prices quoted are roundtrip and include taxes, fees and carrier charges.
- Full details of the interior of the British Airways A380 will be unveiled when it arrives at Heathrow in July.
CONTACT: MEDIA CONTACT: Americas Communications 212 716 0477