Aurizon Urges Shareholders To Back Deal With Hecla
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Aurizon Mines Ltd. said Tuesday that its shareholders should reject Alamos Gold Inc.'s takeover bid and approve the deal it struck to sell itself to Hecla Mining Co. for about $775 million.
Hecla, a Coeur D'Alene, Idaho-based silver miner, said Monday that it had agreed to acquire the Canadian gold miner's outstanding shares for cash and stock totaling 4.75 Canadian dollars ($4.63) each, 9 percent above the Friday closing price of Aurizon's U.S.-traded shares.
That came after Aurizon's January rejection of fellow Canadian gold miner Alamos' offer of 4.65 Canadian dollars per share in cash and stock.
Alamos released a statement late Monday saying that it would not boost its offer, which was set to expire on Tuesday. But it argued that the combination of Alamos with Aurizon would create a much more valuable company than the proposed deal with Hecla. Alamos has been buying Aurizon shares through a tender offer and currently holds about 16.1 percent of the company's stock.Aurizon said Tuesday that the Hecla offer currently offers a higher premium than the Alamos offer, based on the Monday closing stock prices of both companies. It also noted that the Hecla offer allows for a much higher cash percentage than the Alamos offer. In premarket trading, Hecla shares rose 9 cents, or 2.2 percent, to $4.16; Aurizon's U.S. shares slipped a penny to $4.33; and Alamos's U.S. shares were unchanged at $14.24.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV