How Do I Get My Driver's License Record?
Question: How do I get a copy of my driver's license record to find out what is on there?
Answer: You should contact your state's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or similar agency to get a copy of your motor vehicle record (MVR).
Why would you want to see your driving record? The biggest reason is to make sure the information is accurate, because it's used to determine your driver's license points, to calculate your insurance rates and even as part of employment background checks.
Also, if you know when a traffic violation or accident falls off your record, you can make a point to shop around for car insurance to see if lower rates are now available. (See “ Keep your license clean - and your car insurance cheap”)In general, to get your driving record you'll need to follow these basic steps:
- Find your state's DMV site (use our comprehensive DMV list here).
- Search the DMV site for how to obtain a copy of your driving record. There may be several types to choose between, ranging from a status record to a certified copy.
- Follow directions on how to obtain the record. You may need to fill out a form online, print a form to fill out and mail in or go into a DMV office in person to request a copy of your driving record.
- To fill out the required form, be prepared with personal information -- such as your driver's license number and address that is on file with the state.
- Pay for your copy. The cost is usually between $2 and $12.
How insurance companies checkInsurance companies typically don't go through the state's DMV office but instead use a third-party vendor that access to all 50 states and the District of Columbia's MVR databases. State DMVs work with such companies since insurance companies, employers and others that have permission to view your driving record have bulk requests that need to be fielded in a more efficient manner.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts