Kass: The Ultimate Mensch
Editor's Note: This article was originally published on Real Money on March 4. To see Jim Cramer's latest commentary as it's published,sign up for a free trial of Real Money.
Is anyone more deserving than our Doug Kass to be selected as the Bear that Warren Buffett trusts for his upcoming Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.B) shareholders' meeting? Doug's the "credentialed," thoughtful ursine that we all, at one time or another, find ourselves challenged by -- and nothing can make us into better investors than paying attention to his variant views.
But do you know what makes this honor so special? Because Doug's not a permabear, which (to me, given the amazing run we have had) would mean he doesn't deserve the credential. He's a flexible one -- the best call I have seen in my lifetime was his call for a generational bottom in March of 2009 when everyone else, including me, was negative. Doug's arguments forced me to go bullish and I am glad that he did. Almost everything positive about this market sprung from his call and he nailed it so well that I still thank my lucky stars that he's with us on this site for all to profit from.Let me go a step further. Doug's the ultimate mensch. He is never an ad hominem attack dog. He is never personal. He always approaches his differences with a gentle riposte and the honest goading. He's always above board, never underhanded. And when he gets it wrong and you get it right, he's the first to praise you. I am proud of my multi-decade friendship with Doug and I am ecstatic that he received this precious honor. Doug, you will be amazing, as you always are. I cannot think of a more worthy intellectual provocateur than Doug Kass. Knock 'em dead in Omaha, Doug. I know you will. Oh, and while I am at it, if only my charitable trust had dumped all of its Apple (AAPL) shares when Doug said to. Each day wouldn't be a house of pain!
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV