More Kona 2012 highlights:
- In April, Kona Brewing received a Hawaii Green Business Award from the Governor’s office and Hawaii State Department of Health.
- In May, Kona was featured in a 30-minute episode of Sand Masters, airing five times on the Travel Channel and reaching over 15 million viewers around the world. The show spotlighted Kona Brewers Festival, which subsequently sold out in two days, beating all previous records in its 18-year history. In 2012, the festival raised over $50,000 for local educational and environmental charities.
- In June, the North American Beer Association awarded Longboard Island Lager with its 2nd gold medal in the Helles Lager Category. Similarly, Longboard Island Lager and Black Sand Porter were awarded bronze medals at the Great American Beer Festival in October 2012.
- In September, Kona deepened its relationships in the community of standup paddling (“SUP”), the fastest growing water sport in the world, by sponsoring the SUP Awards and adding to its roster of 20 professional athletes.
- In December, the company brewed and served its 33 millionth pint in Hawaii.
- Kona more than quadrupled its total number of fans on Facebook by starting with 20,000 fans and growing the base to well over 100,000 fans by year-end.
About Kona Brewing
Kona Brewing Company was started in the spring of 1994 by father and son team Cameron Healy and Spoon Khalsa, who had a dream to create fresh, local island brews made with spirit, passion and quality. It is a Hawaii-born and Hawaii-based craft brewery that prides itself on brewing the freshest beer of exceptional quality, close to market and minimizing its carbon footprint by reducing shipping of raw materials, finished beer and wasteful packaging materials. The brewery is headquartered where it began, in Kailua-Kona on Hawaii’s Big Island. It has three restaurant sites in Hawaii and beer distribution reaching 36 states, Japan and Europe. For more information call 808-334-BREW or