The Digital Skeptic: Amateurs Are Taking Over, and Risking, Web Security
In 2011, the government of the Netherlands released a harrowing must-read account of the hacker takedown of a large Dutch certificate authority called DigiNotar. The frankly not terribly sophisticated attack effectively bankrupted the company and vaporized a $12.9 million investment by a firm called Vasco, which had bought DigiNotar earlier that year.
Not surprisingly, similar but bigger CAs such as DigiCert and Entrust have invested in ambitious cooperative security plans. But just like the rest of the wobbly Web, the race-to-the-bottom digital age economics makes law and order elusive.
"Certificate authorities were complex and lucrative at one point," Alberto Yepez, said managing director at Trident Capital, a major Silicon Valley security venture shop, when we later spoke at another nearby watering hole. "But now they're becoming commoditized."
The upside on Web risk
This all leads to an only-in-the-Internet-age investor upside: Considering that everyone from Facebook (FB) to The New York Times to Burger King (BKC) is mitigating embarrassing, value-affecting security lapses, the crumbling CA infrastructure actually offers a tantalizing lens into which firms take security seriously -- and which do not.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV