On the other hand, the lawsuit being overseen by Judge Bransten has the potential to substantially increase Bank of America's liability for Countrywide, according to Palmer.
"The clock is ticking," in that case, Palmer argues. "More than ever, it's in the bank's interest to settle."
Palmer expects Bank of America to settle "long before" a potential trial of the remaining challenge to MBIA's restructuring.
A Bank of America spokesman did not respond to an email seeking comment. An MBIA spokesman had no immediate comment.-- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV