However, he said, the integration of the American and US Airways domestic systems will create passenger flows big enough to support more flying to Asia from various hubs. "We think there's a great expansion opportunity there," he said. Some of it will be accommodated on American's Oneworld partners, including Japan Airlines and Cathay Pacific. "The real issue is to make sure you can get customers to where they want to go," Parker said. "Oneworld has that."
Overall, new American is likely to grow internationally. "The industry has not matured internationally," Parker said, noting that he foresees "relatively modest growth early on as we get our legs underneath us - as we move forward we'll see." Domestically, he said, the industry is mature, with growth likely to replicate GDP growth.
Parker also said that no decision has been made on the livery for the new airline. In January, American unveiled new livery after two years of development.
"Most of our customers don't care what the outside of the airplane looks like," Parker said. "It doesn't affect their purchase decisions. (But) it's really important to employees, who care a lot about it, and I care about that.""We'll take some time and talk to people and put that on the list of a number of things we have to figure out," he said. Follow @tedreednc -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV