Rating Change #5
Astex Pharmaceuticals Inc (ASTX - Get Report) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, compelling growth in net income, solid stock price performance and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- ASTX's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 5.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 13.5%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- ASTX has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 7.34, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Biotechnology industry. The net income increased by 1957.7% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $0.22 million to $4.53 million.
- This stock has managed to rise its share value by 70.68% over the past twelve months. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, ASTEX PHARMACEUTICALS INC's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.