Check out Jim Cramer's latest trading recommendations on "Action Alerts Plus".
Unfortunately, that isn't enough for activist investors who are looking for more.
Cramer said Hess is bringing out value by separating its production and refining business, just like so many other big oil companies have done of late. That's great news for shareholders of the company because that strategy has worked extremely well for other companies.But Hess' efforts don't appear to be enough for activist shareholders looking for an eventual sale of the company to a larger player. Cramer said splitting itself into even smaller pieces will likely not be good for the company, but it could spark such a sale -- which is why investors win both ways and should hold onto the stock. To sign up for Jim Cramer's free Booyah! newsletter, with all of his latest articles and videos, please click here. -- Written by Scott Rutt in Washington. To email Scott about this article, click here: Scott Rutt Follow Scott on Twitter @ScottRutt or get updates on Facebook, ScottRuttDC
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV