ARMONK, N.Y., March 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Miami-Dade County and IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced a transformational Smarter Cities initiative to improve services for residents and help agencies share information among the 35 municipalities within the county.
A model for the rest of the nation, the County is using Big Data analytics -- managing large datasets from multiple sources -- and cloud computing to help leaders make better decisions.
With a focus on cutting across organizational boundaries to provide better services to residents, IBM is helping Miami-Dade County modernize and improve the predictive management capabilities of systems tied to law enforcement, transportation and water. Through the use of an intelligent dashboard from IBM that provides visibility into operations, city and county leaders will soon be able to harvest massive amounts of information from one department and immediately share it with multiple departments to improve access to valuable and often time-sensitive information."Making Miami-Dade County more efficient and cutting the red tape that slows economic progress are priorities, and this initiative with IBM is a great way to accomplish both of those goals," said Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos A. Gimenez. "We look forward to making vital data more accessible to our municipal partners and to serving our residents even better." As Miami-Dade County faces shrinking budgets, aging infrastructure and the need to deliver more services with fewer resources – all while driving economic development and job creation – the County is working to solve some of its biggest problems through advanced technology and public-private partnerships. Miami-Dade County is delivering value to residents through a series of interlocked initiatives that use the new system to help departments across the county collaborate and share information. These initiatives are:
- Water Management -- A predictive analytics and smart metering project to help remotely monitor consumption and identify water leaks across the Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces Department is expected to reduce water consumption by 20% and generate up to $1 million in savings per year which can be reallocated back into parks services for residents.
- Intelligent Policing -- Technology for intelligence analysis, lead generation and criminal identification and investigation is helping Miami-Dade Police Department (MDPD) reduce the time it takes officers to identify leads, investigate crimes and solve cases and remove barriers to information sharing with other law enforcement agencies.
- Government Transparency -- Consolidated analytics across finance, human resources, budgeting, planning and all transactional departments provide county employees access to reporting and analysis tools to help make better decisions. The cloud-based system also provides the county's three million residents financial transparency and access to key metrics and detailed spending information via the Internet.
- Transportation Efficiency -- Providing real-time updates via new mobile phone applications and applying analytics to better understand traffic patterns and ridership on public transit will help prepare for future growth without investing in new infrastructure projects. A pilot transportation project will help improve traffic flow and drive economic development for local business in the Brickell community through increased ridership on public transit and bringing more people into the county's parks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV