World Renowned Urban Expert To Become 16th President Of The University Of Toronto
"Over the years, the University of Toronto has, time and again, proven to be a place of unparalleled learning and discovery, for the best students and the best faculty," he said. "To be chosen to lead U of T during a time of great change in our sector is both challenging and exhilarating. I am following in the footsteps of President Naylor - a leader who has combined vision, hard work and dedication to propel the University to compete with the best institutions in the world. This is a tremendous foundation upon which to build."
Gertler's appointment will ensure the University can build upon its reputation as a world leader in research, innovation and academic achievement, said Naylor. "Professor Gertler is a gifted scholar, teacher, mentor, and administrator whose advice on urban issues has been sought by governments around the world. Along with an extraordinary breadth of knowledge and experience, Meric Gertler brings to the presidency an unwavering dedication to excellence in post-secondary education and advanced research."
"Over the past few months, I have been impressed by Professor Gertler's leadership at the Faculty of Arts and Science," added Michael Wilson, who was installed as the 33 rd Chancellor of the University of Toronto on November 12 th, 2012. "As Dean, he has worked to ensure the highest quality academic experience for students. I look forward to working with him in his new role."
Since 1999, Professor Gertler has held the Goldring Chair in Canadian Studies in University College and the Department of Geography. He was also the founding co-director of the Program on Globalization and Regional Innovation Systems (PROGRIS) at the Munk School of Global Affairs and has also served as director of the Department of Geography's Program in Planning.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV