Unum is a leading provider of financial protection benefits at the workplace, serving 171,000 businesses in the U.S. and U.K. As part of a business-critical transformation of its data center, the company wanted a self service workload automation solution so business users and application developers could handle their own application job requests more efficiently and effectively. Providing self-service was a win-win move that improved productivity and service for both the business users and the IT staff.
The IT operations team selected the BMC Control-M Self Service solution from BMC Software (NASDAQ: BMC) because it delivers a customized service view that is easy to use and can be quickly adopted.
“While the main reason we licensed BMC Software’s Control-M was to maximize my infrastructure team’s productivity, both IT and business users embraced the self service functionality of the solution because it gives them more access and control over the things they care about most,” said Ron Tustin, director of mainframe infrastructure at Unum. “It’s giving them what they need when they need it, so business runs smoothly.”
Tracey Prendergast, operations manager at Unum, added, “We’re trying to automate as much as possible and Control-M Self Service solution really fits into that vision.”The Challenge Unum wanted an easy-to-use solution that would empower internal users to run and monitor their own ad hoc job requests. This would have two positive effects: higher productivity for IT as well as greater efficiency and convenience for the business users – with the overall result being improved service. The Solution The company chose the BMC Control-M Self Service solution, which provided the desired core functionality plus flexible role-based monitoring capabilities for end users – and a highly user-friendly interface. Benefits By implementing the BMC Control-M Self Service solution, Unum has experienced a number of benefits, including:
- Expanding operations to 24x7 for business users
- Immediate reduction of ad hoc work requests to IT operations team, which allows them to stay focused on the larger business operations
- Increased service and greater flexibility and convenience for business users and applications developers
- Register for the upcoming Unum case study webinar
- Watch the Unum video
- Watch the BMC Control-M video
- Access the BMC Control-M community
- Visit the On the Mark blog
- Follow @BMCControl-M on Twitter
- Become a fan of BMC on Facebook