Frankly, I'm tired of defending my tendency to bring up Steve Jobs' name in relation to what ails Apple. We're stuck in this loop of uncertainty, in part, because we subscribe to the notion that Jobs is dead so we'll forget all of the credit we gave his genius for Apple's success when he was alive. That impact -- that ingredient in Apple's greatness -- did not die with the man.
Apple -- and this comes down to the board and other influential people inside and close to the company -- needs to stop ignoring the elephant in the room. That is, is a Tim Cook-led Apple capable of reversing the trend, innovating with new and existing products and, once and for all,
ending the negativity?
Apple doesn't want to address this. It has invested so much in Cook it appears almost impossible to reverse course now. And it sure as heck wouldn't look good. In fact, it would only ratchet up the level of uncertainty.
That said, Apple could contain the damage by having an aggressive plan in place to admit the miscalculation, bring in a capable and dynamic leader, regain the market's confidence and accelerate the pipeline of innovation Cook claims to have in place, but can't seem to implement.Follow @rocco_thestreet -- Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV