F5 Networks, Inc. (NASDAQ: FFIV) today announced the findings of its 2013 RSA Security Trends Survey, which revealed that organizations are struggling to keep pace with the changing face of security. Respondents were RSA attendees with IT responsibilities over planning, management, oversight, or implementation of security. The results show that security trends such as virtualization (73%), BYOD (66%) and the complexity of attack types (72%) have the greatest impact on securing today’s organizations. Nearly half of respondents admit that traditional safeguards are less than adequate in protecting against threats related to these trends, with roughly one-third of respondents reporting that their security readiness is inadequate.
Security is changing, from the type of threats to those driving the threats.
When asked what security trends have the greatest impact on an organization’s ability to achieve the level of security it desires, respondents answered:
- Virtualization (73%)
- The increasing complexity of threats (ex: Distributed Denial of Service attacks) (72%)
- BYOD (use of employee-owned devices such as smartphones for business use) (66%)
- The change in the bad guys (from hackers to espionage and political motivation) (62%)
- The shift from data center focused infrastructure to cloud-based infrastructure (61%)
- The shift from traditional client-server applications to web-based applications (60%)
- Most (75%) see BYOD as being prevalent in their organization.
- Furthermore, two-thirds (66%) see BYOD as having a somewhat to extremely high impact on security.
- Despite this, one-third (35%) say they are not prepared to provide adequate security to protect against threats associated with BYOD.
- Nearly two-thirds (64%) of respondents see the shift to web-based applications as a trend affecting security, yet 37% of respondents’ organizations are not providing adequate security to protect against potential threats.
- Sixty-six percent of respondents see the shift to cloud-based infrastructure as a trend affecting security, yet 49% of respondents’ organizations are not providing adequate security to protect against potential threats.
- The shift from traditional client-server applications to web-based applications (44%)
- The shift from data center focused infrastructure to cloud-based infrastructure (49%)
- BYOD (use of employee-owned devices such as smartphones for business use) (45%)
- Increased external threats (spam and malware) (39%)
- The increasing complexity of threats (ex: Distributed Denial of Service attacks) (48%)
- The change in the bad guys (from hackers to espionage and political motivation) (47%)
- Increasing insider threats (49%)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV