4. Portland, Ore.
Number of car-sharing locations: 537
Top neighborhoods: Downtown, Northwest, Pearl District
The streetcar costs $1, the MAX light rail will set you back $250 and bike lanes are all about. Why would you pay for a car in Portland? Because none of the above make it particularly easy to get around this sprawling city. There, we've said it. Portland's reputation as a hub of alternative transportation is true to a point, but becomes patently false as soon as you have to go somewhere that isn't on the west side of the Willamette River, isn't on a rail line or is farther east than Mount Tabor. Also, like Seattle, Portland is surrounded by sights such as the Columbia River Gorge, Willamette Valley Wineries, the Oregon Coast, Mount Hood, Mount St. Helens, Mount Adams, various falls and other more remote attractions that aren't really accessible by either train or bike, no matter what the guy with the sprocket tattoos at your local bike-up bar tells you. While free parking is kind of a wasted car-sharing perk in a city with plenty of parking, having a set of weekend wheels comes in pretty handy in a town everyone clears out of once the clouds clear and the air warms.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV