COLOGNE, Germany, March 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Ford of Germany has signed a cooperation agreement with the German Ford dealers association FHD GmbH and DB Rent GmbH – the company behind Flinkster car sharing – for a new car sharing platform. FORD2GO will be the first automotive manufacturer-backed, nationwide car sharing program incorporating dealerships
- Ford commissioned a poll to better understand public opinion and attitudes on a range of mobility issues. Most who would share are tempted by reduced travel costs, convenient locations, easy booking and a reduced environmental impact
- 56 percent of Europeans say they would consider car sharing, according to a Ford-sponsored survey of more than 6,000 people*
Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) is launching FORD2GO, the first automotive manufacturer-backed, nationwide car sharing program in Europe to incorporate dealerships. FORD2GO was formed following a partnership among Ford of Germany, the German Ford dealers association FHD GmbH, and DB Rent GmbH – the company behind Flinkster car sharing.
The program calls for participating Ford dealers across Germany to offer cars and service to customers in their town, allowing easy access to shared cars and offering the chance for potential customers to experience Ford vehicles.
Car sharing was one of the various elements highlighted by Ford Motor Company Executive Chairman Bill Ford during a keynote address on the future of mobility at the February 2012 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain. As outlined in the company's Blueprint for Mobility, dealing with growing congestion and environmental concerns will require the development of a true network of mobility solutions, with personal vehicle ownership complemented by greater use of connected and efficient shared services, and completely new business models contributing to improved personal mobility.More than half of Europeans would consider car sharing, either through a formal program or through private arrangements, a Ford Motor Company-sponsored poll shows. Drivers increasingly see car sharing programs as a viable option, particularly in dense urban areas where parking can be problematic, and public transit can meet many but not all transportation needs. Ready and affordable access to a pool of available vehicles can provide on-demand transportation flexibility. The company revealed the survey findings as Ford of Germany this week launched FORD2GO. "Ford understands that for some of our customers – as this survey shows – car sharing is an attractive option," said Bernhard Mattes, chairman of Ford of Germany and vice president, Ford Customer Service Division, Ford of Europe. "As a company, we are committed to a collaborative and integrated approach to future mobility, and the FORD2GO service is another significant step in exploring exactly how that future could look." The Futures Company, a leading consulting firm, conducted the survey to better understand the opinions and attitudes of Europeans across a range of mobility issues – from car sharing to green driving to the future of the internal combustion engine.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV