New Tornado App Brings American Red Cross Safety Information To Mobile Devices
App's audio alert feature can help save lives when users can't monitor the weather
WASHINGTON, March 4, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- As National Severe Weather Awareness Week begins, the American Red Cross is releasing its official Tornado App, putting lifesaving information right in the hands of people who live in, visit or have loved ones in tornado-prone areas.
This free app—available in English or Spanish—gives iPhone, iPad and Android smart phone and tablet users instant access to local and real-time information, so they know what to do before, during and after a tornado. The app includes a high-pitched siren and "tornado warning!" alert that signals when a NOAA tornado warning has been issued in their area – even if users have the app closed. An "all clear!" alert lets users know when a tornado warning has expired or has been cancelled."The alerts in the Tornado App can save lives," said Jim Judge, preparedness expert, member of the American Red Cross Scientific Advisory Committee and chair of its Preparedness Sub-Council. "Now, when a tornado warning is issued in the middle of the night, the siren alert can wake people up so they can head to a safe area. Users can even receive alerts when they are away from their loved ones or don't have access to radio or TV." Other features of the app include:
- Location-based NOAA tornado, severe thunderstorm and flood watch and warning alerts;
- Enhanced weather maps and information provided by Weather Underground, a digital brand of The Weather Company;
- One-touch "I'm safe" messaging that allows users to broadcast reassurance to family and friends via social media outlets that they are out of harm's way;
- Simple steps and checklists people can use to create an emergency plan and share it with household members;
- Preloaded content that gives users instant access to critical action steps, even without mobile connectivity;
- Toolkit with flashlight, strobe light and audible alarm;
- Locations of open Red Cross shelters; and
- Badges users can earn through interactive quizzes and share on social networks.
- Mobile activity soared due to Superstorm Sandy:
- More than 400,000 people downloaded the Red Cross Hurricane App;
- Nearly 6 million NOAA weather alerts were sent;
- Preparedness content was the most popular feature of the app followed by alerts and the shelter locator;
- The average time spent using the app increased 300 percent; and
- The app had 15 million page views.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV