Sales of the Chevrolet Camry declined 6% to 31,270. Year-to-date Camry sales are up 0.5% to 63,167.
Toprak said competition from the Fusion is hurting the Camry, which is no longer the newest vehicle in the segment despite being introduced in 2012. "The newest product gets the most attention in this segment," he said. Additionally, he said Ford was aggressive in offering incentives to Fusion buyers.
Overall, Toyota sales rose just 4.3%. "Toyota's performance falls very much in line with what we saw from GM, with the truck line-up 16% and the car line down nearly 3%," said Edmunds.com analyst Jessica Caldwell, in a prepared statement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV