5 Stocks Poised for Breakouts
Another stock that's moving within range of triggering a major breakout trade is NuVasive (NUVA), which is a medical device company focused on the design, development and marketing of products for the surgical treatment of spine disorders. This stock is off to a hot start in 2013, with shares up 20%.
If you look at the chart for NuVasive, you'll notice that this stock has been uptrending very strong for the last four months, with shares soaring higher from its low of $12.35 to its intraday high of $18.70 a share. During that uptrend, shares of NUVA have been consistently making higher lows and higher highs, which is bullish technical price action. That move has now pushed shares of NUVA within range of triggering a major breakout trade.
Traders should now look for long-biased trades in NUVA if it manages to break out above its 200-day moving average of $18.65 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above $18.65 a share with volume that registers near or above its three-month average volume of 553,042 shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then NVA will set up to re-fill some of its previous gap down zone from last October that started just above $23 a share.Traders can look to buy NUVA off any weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below its 50-day moving average of $17 a share. One can also buy off strength once NUVA takes out its 200-day at $18.65 a share with volume and then simply use that sits just below $18 a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV