Which Is Cheaper To Insure, Subaru Or Scion?
Question: One of my favorite car shows (BBC's Top Gear) had a segment on how the Toyota GT 86 and Subaru BRZ are basically the identical car but sold under different names. I'm interested in maybe purchasing one or the other. My question is: Do they cost the same to insure because they are twin vehicles, or is one cheaper to insure than the other? Finding this out may help me decide which to buy.
Answer: Top Gear is one of my family's favorite car shows as well. You've asked a great question, since cars that are identical except for their manufacturer's badging aren't uncommon. The best way to find out which is more expensive to insure is to compare quotes for both vehicles using identical information, except for the car model.
I ran quotes for the 2013 Scion FR-S (the Toyota GT 86 is sold under the Scion brand in the U.S.) and the 2013 Subaru BRZ 2.0 Limited for a 35-year-old male with a clean driving record living in Dallas, Texas.
I chose the industry recommended liability coverage limits of $100,000 per person and $300,000 per accident for bodily injury liability and $50,000 property damage liability. I added in collision and comprehensive coverage with a $500 deductible each. The annual rates came back as:
- Scion FR-S: $1,110 (Esurance), $1,370.04 (21st Century), and $1,510 (Travelers)
- Subaru BRZ: $1,110 (Esurance), $1,350.04 (21st Century), and $1,560 (Travelers)
- Scion FR-S: $1,049.90 (Esurance), $1,778 (21st Century), and $1,562.80 (Travelers)
- Subaru BRZ: $1,049.90 (Esurance), $1,899 (21st Century), and $1,564.80 (Travelers)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV