It is projected that job opportunities in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) will grow more than 7 percent faster than job opportunities in non-STEM fields through 2018 1. Despite this positive employment outlook, women hold less than one quarter of STEM positions 2 today. To help reverse this trend, Mayim Bialik is partnering with DeVry University for National HerWorld ® Month to show high school girls how they can make a difference in their world through STEM.
Now in its 16 th year, DeVry University’s HerWorld program educates high school girls about in-demand STEM careers and inspires them to achieve their college and career goals. Bialik will host a HerWorld event in New York City on March 8, one of the 24 HerWorld events taking place across the country this month. This year, it is anticipated that more than 7,000 young women from hundreds of high schools nationwide will participate.
“Science, technology, engineering and math have lacked visible female role models in the past, and high school girls often perceive the curriculum for these subjects as less approachable,” said Bialik, who holds a Doctorate of Philosophy in Neuroscience and currently stars in CBS's The Big Bang Theory. “HerWorld challenges this perception by giving teenage girls a platform to experience the excitement of STEM firsthand. It engages them in the unique stories of successful women who are making a difference by introducing new innovations and leading initiatives that change lives and inspire enthusiasm about the world of STEM.”
Each high school girl attending will have the opportunity to interact with peers, participate in hands-on workshops, engage in confidence-building activities and hear from successful STEM female role models from such notable organizations as Cisco, Google and Microsoft.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV