PARSIPPANY, N.J., March 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Actavis, Inc. (NYSE: ACT) today confirmed that it has filed an Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) seeking approval to market Testosterone gel 10mg/0.5g. Actavis' ANDA product is a generic version of Endo Pharmaceuticals' Fortesta ®, which is indicated for replacement therapy in males for conditions associated with a deficiency or absence of endogenous testosterone.
Endo and Strakan International S.a r.l. filed suit against Actavis on February 28, 2013, in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas Marshall Division seeking to prevent Actavis from commercializing its ANDA product prior to the expiration of certain U.S. patents. The lawsuit was filed under the provisions of the Hatch-Waxman Act, resulting in a stay of final FDA approval of Actavis' ANDA for up to 30 months from the date the plaintiffs received notice of Actavis' ANDA filing or until final resolution of the matter before the court, whichever occurs sooner, subject to any other exclusivities.
Based on available information, Actavis believes it may be a "first applicant" to file an ANDA for the generic version of Fortesta ® and, should its ANDA be approved, may be entitled to 180 days of generic market exclusivity.
For the 12 months ending
December 31, 2012, Fortesta
® had total U.S. sales of approximately
$50 million according to IMS Health data.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV