JACKSON, Mich., Feb. 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Consumers Energy today released the following statement regarding the Royal Oak gas incident:
Late Wednesday afternoon, Consumers Energy received a call regarding an explosion in the 4000 block of Cooper Street in Royal Oak. The explosion destroyed one home and caused severe damage to adjacent homes. We are saddened to report that one person was found deceased in the home that exploded. First and foremost, our thoughts are with the deceased individual's family, friends and loved ones.
Consumers Energy is cooperating with the Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC) and other regulatory agencies in an investigation of this incident. Preliminary testing has determined that a gas service line to the house was damaged and was the possible cause of the explosion. However, the investigation is continuing under the supervision of the MPSC. Consumers Energy is in the process of testing other gas services in the vicinity of the incident and is committed to assuring all of its facilities are safe and intact before restoring gas service to the area.
Additionally, the company reports the following:
- Consumers Energy has arranged hotel accommodations for affected local residents.
- We are working with the Salvation Army on providing hotel transportation for those who cannot access their vehicles.
- Consumers Energy remains on the scene to assist local residents and the Royal Oak community.
- Consumers Energy is checking individual homes for safety issues.
- If residents smell natural gas, we encourage them to call Consumers Energy immediately at: 1-800-477-5050.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV