Anisa International: Starting a Business Out of Adversity
How were you able to make the business successful?
Telwar: I realized that I had entered into an industry that was very much commoditized, and I was going up against a lot of male-driven businesses that were coming out of New York and I was not located in New York. I needed to be very, very creative. I started focusing on how was I going to stand out, what was going to be my niche and what was I going to do to make sure that I could be competitive, but still be able to make money.
What did you come up with?
Telwar: Marketing. It was all kinds of ways of communicating about the product in a way that had not been done. People had never looked at pairing product -- the cosmetic itself -- with the actual makeup artist tool. They always did it separately. So when I started talking with the different product managers, asking, "How does the brush perform that you currently use?" They were like, "We don't know. It's really soft. That's all that matters." I said, "Not necessarily." Because
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV