Corn, Soybeans Rise On Reports Of Delays In Brazil
By STEVE ROTHWELL
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Corn and soybeans advanced on reports that delays at Brazilian ports are holding up shipments.
May corn rose 8.25 cents, or 1.2 percent, to close at $7.035 a bushel. Soybeans gained 12.75 cents, or 0.9 percent, to $14.5225 a bushel.
"The talk is of the logistical backlog in Brazil," said Sal Gilbertie, chief investment officer of Teucrium Trading LLC. "Brazil has, for quite some time, needed to improve its loading facilities."Demand for South American crops surged after last year's drought pushed up prices in the U.S. Brazil may now be struggling to make deliveries to meet that demand. Brazil is poised to knock the U.S. from its historical position as the world's largest exporter of corn, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said in a report on its website this month. The South American nation has had successive bumper harvests of the crop and domestic demand has fallen, increasing the amount of the grain available for export. A drought in the U.S. reduced last year's crop making less available for exports. The U.S. share of the global export market has been gradually decreasing over the past three decades, according to the department's data. The U.S. share of the global export market for corn is projected to be 25 percent in the fiscal year ending in September, down from 84 percent in 1980. Demand for soybeans was also bolstered Thursday by a U.S. Department of Agriculture report that showed increasing demand for the crop from Chinese buyers, said Jason Ward, an analyst at Northstar Commodity. In other trading, wheat edged higher, advancing 2.5 cents, or 0.4 percent, to $7.1450 a bushel. Metals fell, with silver leading the declines. Silver for May delivery fell 55.30 cents, or 1.9 percent, to $28.43 an ounce. Palladium for June delivery dropped $11.10 an ounce, or 1.5 percent, to $734.55.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV