Commitment: Improve the nutritional quality of Walmart's Great Value brand and national food brands by reducing sodium by 25 percent, added sugars by 10 percent and removing all industrially produced trans fats by the end of 2015.
- Reduced sugars by more than 10 percent across targeted categories, including dairy, sauces and fruit drinks. For example, in the yogurt category, added sugars declined by more than 12 percent through a combination of reduced added sugars in existing products and the introduction of new, lower sugar options. The 12 percent reduction is equivalent to 6.9 million pounds of sugar, or 155 tractor trailer loads, in this one category.
- Reduced sodium by 9 percent across targeted categories of grocery items, including grain products, luncheon meats, salad dressings and frozen entrees. Walmart, partnering with its suppliers, has decreased sodium in the commercial bread category (products in the bread aisle) by 13 percent - eliminating more than 1.5 million pounds of salt from the diets of Walmart shoppers, or 35 tractor trailer loads. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention dietary data, bread is the number one source of sodium in the American diet.
- The number of products containing industrially produced trans fats fell by 50 percent. Less than 10 percent of food and beverages sold at Walmart in 2011 contained industrially produced trans fats.
Commitment: Create a front-of-package icon to help consumers easily and quickly identify healthier food options, such as whole grain cereal, whole wheat pasta, lean cuts of meat and low-fat milk.
- Unveiled Walmart's "Great For You" icon which will appear on more than 1,300 Great Value and Marketside food and beverages in Walmart U.S. stores.
- Evaluated more than 4,000 private brand products against the "Great For You" nutrition criteria with about 32 percent of fresh produce, meat and packaged items receiving the icon. The icon will soon be available to participating national brand products that meet the "Great For You" criteria and qualify for the icon.
- Developed rigorous nutrition criteria to back the "Great For You" icon informed by the latest nutrition science and authoritative guidance from the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Institute of Medicine (IOM).
- Walmart customers saved $1.2 billion on fresh fruits and vegetables in 2012.
- Combined with the $1.1 billion in savings in 2011, customers have saved $2.3 billion during the first two years of the program.
- Opened 86 new stores serving food deserts since 2011. These stores serve customers in both urban and rural areas including Atlanta; Durham, N.C.; and Springfield, Mo.
- More than 264,000 people now have more options for fresh, healthier groceries as a result of the 86 new stores serving food deserts.
- The company projects 800,000 people will have more options for healthier food when Walmart opens all 275-300 stores in food deserts.
- In 2012, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation provided more than $13 million in grants to innovative programs across the United States that support nutrition education, cooking skills and healthy eating.
- Since 2011, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation have provided more than $26 million in grants to nutrition education.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV