SPRINGFIELD, Mo., Feb. 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- First Lady Michelle Obama visited a Walmart store in Springfield, Mo., today to celebrate the retailer's progress in making food healthier, more affordable and available to consumers across the country.
During the first two years of Walmart's healthier food initiative, the company helped make it easier for customers to create healthier diets and, ultimately, live healthier lives by:
- saving customers $2.3 billion on fresh fruits and vegetables;
- developing and launching a front-of-package icon which will appear on more than 1,300 Walmart Great Value and Marketside items as well as fresh and packaged fruits and vegetables;
- reducing salt and sugars in its private brand and national food brands; and
- opening 86 stores serving neighborhoods without access to fresh, affordable groceries.
"We are proud of the work we have done in the last two years to make it easier and more affordable for our customers to buy healthier food, and we know there is more work to do," said Leslie Dach, executive vice president of corporate affairs at Walmart. "We applaud First Lady Michelle Obama's continued leadership. Her passion is encouraging companies and organizations, like Walmart, to make continued progress that positively affects the health and wellness of the communities we serve."
"For years, the conventional wisdom said that healthy products simply didn't sell – that the demand wasn't there, that higher profits were found elsewhere, so it just wasn't worth the investment. Thanks to Walmart and so many other great American businesses, we are proving the conventional wisdom wrong," said First Lady Michelle Obama. "Every day, with their success, these companies are showing us that what's good for kids and good for family budgets can also be good for business."Walmart's progress on its healthier food commitment:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV