RI Jobless Rate Falls Below 10 Percent
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) â¿¿ Rhode Island's unemployment rate has dipped under 10 percent for the first time since February 2009 under revised labor statistics.
The state Department of Labor and Training released revised data Thursday showing that the jobless rate in December was 9.9 percent, not 10.2 percent as originally reported.
The statistics show that the unemployment rate declined steadily throughout 2012 from a high of 10.8 percent in January. Labor statistics had initially shown an uptick last spring.
The new data also show the number of Rhode Island-based jobs was 465,600 in December, 6,800 higher than the original estimates.Gov. Lincoln Chafee says he's encouraged â¿¿ but not surprised â¿¿ the state's economic recovery is "more robust" than originally reported. Rhode Island has struggled with one of the highest U.S. unemployment rates.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV