New Study Finds Increased Use Of Electronic Cigarettes, Shows Need For FDA Regulation
The new study, published in the journal Nicotine & Tobacco Research, found that 6.2 percent of all U.S. adults and 21.2 percent of current smokers surveyed in 2011 had ever used e-cigarettes. This is an approximate doubling of 2010 estimates. It also found that six in ten adults were aware of e-cigarettes in 2011, compared to four in ten in 2010.
The study points to several public health concerns about the growing use of e-cigarettes:
- "E-cigarettes have also been marketed as smoking cessation aids. However, there is currently no conclusive scientific evidence that e-cigarettes promote long-term cessation, and e-cigarettes are not included as a recommended smoking cessation method by the U.S. Public Health Service."
- "Many public health professionals are concerned that e-cigarettes may have an adverse impact on users' health, encourage smoking initiation, perpetuate the use of nicotine and tobacco products among smokers who might otherwise quit, and counter the effectiveness of smoke-free policies."
Effective FDA regulation of all tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, is critical to reducing the terrible toll of tobacco, which kills more than 400,000 Americans annually and is the number one cause of preventable death in the U.S.
The study abstract can be found at: http://ntr.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/02/20/ntr.ntt013.abstractSOURCE Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV