SC Johnson Awarded Goal Setting Certificate By EPA's Climate Leadership Program
RACINE, Wis., Feb. 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- SC Johnson announced today it has received a Climate Leadership Award for Aggressive Goal Setting. Climate Leadership Awards recognize corporate, organizational and individual leadership in addressing climate change and reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Association of Climate Change Officers (ACCO), the Center for Climate and Energy Solutions (C2ES) and The Climate Registry (TCR) will present the awards today at the Climate Leadership Conference Awards Gala in Washington, D.C.
"As a family company, we're committed to doing what's right for people and the planet, and we believe that to make an impact, you have to set measurable goals," said Fisk Johnson, Chairman and CEO of SC Johnson. "In addition to the 27 percent reduction we've achieved versus our 2005 U.S. baseline, we will continue to raise the bar and hold ourselves accountable. By 2016, we plan to further reduce our greenhouse gas emissions by an additional 7 percent absolute reduction, and we're honored to be recognized for setting this goal."
The second annual Climate Leadership Awards recognize organizations that are leading the way in the management and reduction of GHG emissions, both in internal operations and through the supply chain. A total of 23 companies will be recognized at the event.
"I commend SC Johnson for their exemplary commitment and dedication to tackling the challenge of climate change," said Gina McCarthy, assistant administrator for EPA's Office of Air and Radiation. "SC Johnson and all our Climate Leadership Award winners are reducing harmful carbon pollution, increasing efficiency and cutting waste at the same time."A Long Standing Commitment to SustainabilityLeading in sustainability has been fundamental to how SC Johnson has operated for decades. Clean energy initiatives that demonstrate the company's U.S. commitment to reducing its environmental footprint include:
- The recent addition of two wind turbines at the company's largest manufacturing facility, Waxdale, located in Mount Pleasant, Wis. The addition of these turbines means that products made at this facility, including Scrubbing Bubbles®, Glade® and Windex®, will now be made using clean energy. Combined with two cogeneration systems also at the site, Waxdale is now able to produce an average of 100 percent of its electrical energy onsite.
- The company has been purchasing wind energy from a dedicated nearby wind farm to help power its Bay City, Mich. facility since 2008. In 2011, the wind farm supplied 46 percent of the electricity required to run the facility.
- In 2010, SC Johnson began testing three SWIFT mini wind turbines at its global headquarters in Racine, Wis. The goal has been to reduce GHG emissions as well as to raise awareness that renewable energy can be used in urban settings. In their first year of operations, the turbines cut GHG emissions by 580 pounds. In 2012, the company also added three of the mini turbines at its Lowell, Ark. sales office, as well.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV