White Paper Says Telehealth Is Expected To Gain Popularity - Especially On College Campuses - In Coming Decade
BETHESDA, Md., Feb. 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- A rapidly changing healthcare landscape, with new delivery and reimbursement models redefining the traditional doctor-patient relationship, has created an opening for a rapid expansion of telehealth in the U.S. in the coming decade, especially on college campuses, according to a new report by George Pantos, Executive Director, Healthcare Performance Management (HPM) Institute.
The complete HPM Institute report is at www.hpminstitute.org. Among its key findings are:
- Telehealth, which is not insurance, can complement parent and school insurance plans and provide today's mobile phone- and computer-connected students with direct, quick access to primary care doctors for basic health information;
- Parents can gain peace of mind know that their student has ready, around-the-clock access to quality, physician care away from home; and
- Institutions of higher education can expand their campus health services to 24/7 without additional infrastructure or personnel costs.
These findings, according to report author Pantos, are now becoming clear as the dust settles in a new U.S. healthcare world, shaken up by the 2010 passage of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the resultant Supreme Court battle over its constitutionality, and the 2012 decisions by the Court and the American people to keep the ACA in place and President Barack Obama in office.
"In this post-ACA environment, significant trends are converging to impact the healthcare choices of college and university students," said Pantos. "These choices, in large part, are driven by innovative patient care delivery models, provider reimbursement options, advances in technology and new modalities of electronic communication.""When you include other broader healthcare factors, such as the looming primary doctor shortage, costly office visits and rapidly escalating health insurance premiums, the focus on alternative healthcare delivery models – including telehealth – is expected to intensify," added Pantos. The HPM Institute executive director noted this is particularly true for routine, non-urgent medical services, which form the core of what is provided through campus health centers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV