Up first is PetroChina (PTR), the $252 billion Chinese oil and gas giant. PTR has turned out some uninspiring performance in the last year, slipping around 7% in those 12 months while the rest of the broad market rallied. And now investors looking for more upside had better keep looking.
That's because PTR is currently forming a double top pattern, a setup that's formed by two swing highs that top out at approximately the same price level. PetroChina's first top came in back in October, and shares topped out for their second time in January. The sell signal for this setup comes on a breakdown through support at $130. If PetroChina can't catch a bid below that support level, you don't want to own it.
Momentum adds some extra evidence for downside in PetroChina. 14-day RSI broke its long-term uptrend at the start of this month, and it's been trending lower ever since. Since momentum is a leading indicator of price, that's an important indication that shares are losing steam at an increasing pace. While I wouldn't recommend unloading shares unless $130 gets taken out, traders will want to keep a close eye on this name in March.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV