BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- It's a market of stocks, not a "stock market."
As overused as that phrase may be, there's some truth to it. And as we approach the first trading session in March, we're seeing some stellar examples of why paying attention to that market of individual stocks could save your portfolio's performance in 2013.
As I write, the S&P 500 is up 6.3% on the first two months of the year. No matter how you slice it, that's some stellar performance, especially if that market momentum can hold strong as 2013 progresses. But not all stocks are taking full advantage of the rally. In fact, some of the biggest names are looking downright scary right now -- and investors who think they're getting market-matching performance out of those names are going to be unpleasantly surprised.So today we're taking a technical look at the bearish price setups forming in five of the biggest names on Wall Street. If you're new to technical analysis, here's the executive summary. >>5 Stocks With Major Insider Buying Technicals are a study of the market itself. Since the market is ultimately the only mechanism that determines a stock's price, technical analysis is a valuable tool even in the roughest of trading conditions. Technical charts are used every day by proprietary trading floors, Wall Street's biggest financial firms, and individual investors to get an edge on the market. And research shows that skilled technical traders can bank gains as much as 90% of the time. Every week, I take an in-depth look at big names that are telling important technical stories. Here's this week's look at the charts of five high-volume stocks to trade for gains. >>4 Reasons to Buy Stocks in 2013
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV