Illinoisans Brace For Federal Cuts, Furloughs
"Unfortunately we're kind of in the dark," said Jon Pyatt, the University of Illinois' director of federal relations, said while working on Capitol Hill Tuesday.
Potentially at stake at the University of Illinois' three campuses is about $42.8 million, $33 million of which finances research over a wide range of subjects, spokesman Tom Hardy said. But the money represents less than 1 percent of the university's $5.4 billion operating budget.
Northern Illinois University could see a loss of about $2.7 million in research funding and $85,000 in financial aid and work-study funding, spokesman Paul Palian said. Officials at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston say they stand to lose only about $450,000, about 8 percent of the $5.6 million in federal money the school receives, spokeswoman Vicki Woodard said.
___NATIONAL PARKS In Springfield, hours could be curtailed at the Lincoln Home National Historic Site, affecting as many as 117,000 visitors a year at the 42-year-old national park. Last year it drew roughly 300,000. Mike Reynolds, director of the National Park Service's Midwest region, says he is scrambling to grapple with the potential of losing the funds. "I think the American people are watching this transpiring, and they want reduced government spending. I get that," Reynolds added. "But I don't think they realize how this affects their lives." ___ Associated Press writers Michael Tarm and Sara Burnett in Chicago and David Mercer in Champaign contributed to this report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV