NEW YORK, Feb. 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Shutterstock, Inc. (NYSE: SSTK) a leading global provider of commercial digital imagery, published its annual global design trends infographic. The infographic outlines emerging visual trends from around the world, and was created using data from millions of searches and downloads conducted on the site each year. As the volume leader in the stock image space, Shutterstock licensed more than 70 million photos, vectors, and illustrations in 2012, and currently has over 750,000 active customers in 150 countries. Below are some of the top visual trends outlined in the infographic:
- Vector illustrations are growing in popularity. Vectors accounted for 36 of the top 50 images downloaded in 2012. The ability to scale and transform these digital files is driving this increase, providing designers timesaving assets for app and icon creation.
- Green is the top visual theme of the year. It may not be a new trend, but visual storytellers are becoming more specialized and seeking more refined terms, from "sustainable" to "eco-friendly." Green imagery accounted for nearly 14 million downloads in 2012.
- Vintage, geometric and abstract are three prominent visual themes around the world. Together they accounted for nearly 13 million downloads in 2012.
- Brazil is at the cutting-edge of design. Abstract, pixelated, and geometric designs dominated the country's top downloads. "We expect these themes to spread throughout the globe in 2013, as Brazil has become a highly influential design hub" said Global Communications Director Meagan Kirkpatrick. "With the Olympics and World Cup approaching, all eyes will be on Brazil and the young, emerging creatives," she added.
- Russia is a Fashion and Beauty mecca. With hundreds of photographers based throughout the country, Russia is producing some of the most alluring images in the world.
- Video is becoming increasingly popular, as more mobile devices can process and stream rich media content. Popular video themes for the year reflect the changing image-capture technology, including timelapse, action point-of-view, and 3D motion graphics.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV