SPRINGVILLE, Utah, Feb. 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Living Whole Foods, the No. 1 retailer of grow-your-own wheatgrass and sprouting supplies, today launched its new mushroom kit website, shiitakecenter.com. The site sells high-quality products and growing kits that generate an ongoing harvest. The company also announced record overall growth, led by wheatgrasskits.com, with a 20 percent increase in year-end sales for 2012.
"A growing segment of healthy eaters are finding fulfillment in producing their own high-quality products – and purchasing the kits and other equipment online has made this increasingly easy to accomplish," said Parker Garlitz, vice president, Living Whole Foods. "Shiitakecenter.com will provide an ideal source for adding grow-your-own gourmet, edible mushrooms to indoor or outdoor gardens."
The grow-your-own-mushroom kits, which cost between $29 and $32 per kit, include "certified organic" varieties such as:
- Lion's Mane: Recognized by its hanging spine-like formations and often used for its medicinal properties or as a substitute for lamb, pork or seafood in Asian recipes
- Pearl Oyster : Produces multiple harvests, with the first as early as two weeks; great in stir fry, soups, rice dishes and more
- Maitake: Popular in Asian and Italian dishes and also has medicinal properties
- Shiitake: Popular mushroom for Chinese and Japanese dishes
- Turkey Tail: Shelf fungi highly prized for their medicinal and decorative properties