Feb. 28, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- Living Whole Foods, the No. 1 retailer of grow-your-own wheatgrass and sprouting supplies, today launched its new mushroom kit website,
. The site sells high-quality products and growing kits that generate an ongoing harvest. The company also announced record overall growth, led by
, with a 20 percent increase in year-end sales for 2012.
"A growing segment of healthy eaters are finding fulfillment in producing their own high-quality products – and purchasing the kits and other equipment online has made this increasingly easy to accomplish," said
, vice president,
Living Whole Foods
. "Shiitakecenter.com will provide an ideal source for adding grow-your-own gourmet, edible mushrooms to indoor or outdoor gardens."
The grow-your-own-mushroom kits, which cost between
$29 and $32
per kit, include "certified organic" varieties such as:
Living Whole Foods 2012 Revenue Growth
- Lion's Mane: Recognized by its hanging spine-like formations and often used for its medicinal properties or as a substitute for lamb, pork or seafood in Asian recipes
- Pearl Oyster : Produces multiple harvests, with the first as early as two weeks; great in stir fry, soups, rice dishes and more
- Maitake: Popular in Asian and Italian dishes and also has medicinal properties
- Shiitake: Popular mushroom for Chinese and Japanese dishes
- Turkey Tail: Shelf fungi highly prized for their medicinal and decorative properties
Since its launch in 2000, Living Whole Foods and its nine specialized e-commerce brands have seen significant growth as an increasing number of health conscious consumers shop online. The company's most successful site is
, specializing in wheatgrass, barley grass, sprouts, herbs, growing kits and wheatgrass juicers.
"Grow-your-own food continues to grow in popularity both online and off, as evidenced by our increased revenue growth year after year," Parker added. "As we expand our brand to include mushrooms and other healthy superfoods, we expect that growth to continue exponentially."