Zipcar Survey Reveals Millennials Are More Dependent On Mobile Phones Than Cars
CAMBRIDGE, Mass., Feb. 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Zipcar, Inc. (Nasdaq: ZIP), the world's leading car sharing network, released the findings an independent study of Millennials (18-34-year-olds), which examines the attitudes and behaviors of this generation related to urban transportation, technology and car ownership. Overall, the study found that the increasing availability of on-demand mobility services (such as car sharing, ride sharing and vehicle sharing) helps many Millennials drive less and makes it easier to for them to live without owning a car.
The study, conducted in December 2012 by KRC Research, reveals that mobile devices and on-demand transportation apps are more important to Millennials than car ownership:
- Nearly two in three (65 percent) of Millennials say losing their phone (30 percent) or computer (35 percent) would have a greater negative impact on their daily routine than losing their car (28 percent).
- One in four Millennials (25 percent) say transportation apps have reduced their driving frequency, compared to less than 12 percent of those 45+.
Millennial Social Trends: Teched Out, Not Stressed OutSome say Millennials are too stressed out to take time for themselves these days. Zipcar's survey indicates that they're simply savvy and taking advantage of technology and convenience:
- Nearly three quarters (73 percent) of Millennials would rather shop online than drive or ride public transit to the store.
- Nearly half (47 percent) of Millennials sometimes choose to spend time with friends online instead of driving to see them in person.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV