Kevin Mansell, Kohl’s chairman, president and chief executive officer, said, “Sales for the fourth quarter developed very late and, as a result, came at a cost to profitability. We were, however, able to end the quarter with levels of inventory appropriate for a strong transition to Spring. Our associates across the company did an excellent job in managing expenses throughout the year."
Impact of 53rd Week
The retail calendar for fiscal January 2013 included a fifth week, resulting in a 14-week fiscal fourth quarter and a 53-week year. During this 53 rd week, total sales were $169 million; selling, general and administrative expenses were $30 million; interest was $2 million; net income was $15 million and diluted earnings per share was $0.06.
DividendOn February 27, 2013 Kohl's Board of Directors declared a quarterly cash dividend on the Company's common stock of $0.35 per share, a nine percent increase over its previous dividend. The dividend is payable March 27, 2013 to shareholders of record at the close of business on March 13, 2013. Store Update Kohl’s ended the quarter with 1,146 stores in 49 states, compared with 1,127 stores at the same time last year. During the year, the Company opened 21 new stores, including 1 relocated store, closed 1 store and completed 50 remodels. Earnings Guidance The Company issued its initial guidance for fiscal 2013. Based on assumptions of total and comparable store sales increases of 0 to 2 percent, the Company expects earnings per diluted share of $4.15 to $4.45 for the year. For the first fiscal quarter, the Company expects earnings per diluted share of $0.55 to $0.63 per diluted share based on assumptions of a total sales increase of 0.5 to 2.5 percent and a comparable store sales increase of 0 to 2 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV