During the quarter, this portfolio generated total cash flow of $47 million and increased in value by $21 million. During the quarter, the weighted average carrying value of the real estate debt portfolio changed from a price of 83.9% to 84.7% of par.
Newcastle CDO financings
As of December 31, 2012, Newcastle’s four CDOs consisted of $1.8 billion face amount of collateral (value of 80.3% of par) financed with $1.1 billion of non-recourse debt. During the quarter, the CDOs generated $35 million of total cash flow, which included:
- $14 million of CDO cash receipts consisting of $10 million of excess interest, $3 million of interest on retained and repurchased CDO debt, and $1 million of senior collateral management fees
- $21 million of principal repayments on repurchased CDO debt
The following table summarizes the cash receipts in the quarter from the Company’s consolidated CDO financings and the results of their related coverage tests ($ in thousands):
|Primary||% Excess (Deficiency)||Over-Collateralization Excess (Deficiency) (2)(3)|
|Collateral||Cash||Feb 27,||February 27, 2013||December 31, 2012||September 30, 2012|
|Type||Receipts (1)||2013 ((2))||%||$||%||$||%||$|
|(1)||Cash receipts exclude $21 million of principal repayments from repurchased bonds. Cash receipts for the quarter ended December 31, 2012 may not be indicative of cash receipts for subsequent periods. See Forward-Looking Statements below for risks and uncertainties that could cause cash receipts for subsequent periods to differ materially from these amounts.|
|(2)||Represents the excess or deficiency under the applicable interest coverage or over-collateralization test to the first threshold at which cash flow would be redirected. The Company generally does not receive material interest cash flow from a CDO until a deficiency is corrected. The information regarding coverage tests is based on data from the most recent remittance date on or before February 27, 2013, December 31, 2012 or September 30, 2012, as applicable. The CDO IV test is conducted only on a quarterly basis (December, March, June and September).|
|(3)||As of the February 2013 remittance, the face amount of assets on negative watch for possible downgrade by at least one rating agency (Moody’s, S&P, or Fitch) for CDOs VIII and IX was zero.|
- $8 million of excess interest and interest on retained debt
- $1 million of principal repayments
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV