Fourth Quarter 2012
Net premiums written increased 33.5% to $134.6 million in the fourth quarter of 2012 compared with $100.8 million in 2011. In-force premiums of $537.3 million at year-end 2012 increased 36.4% compared to the end of the year 2011.
Net premiums earned were $140.8 million, an increase of 40.5% from the fourth quarter of 2011, primarily due to policy count growth of 31.5% year over year at December 31, 2012. There were 79,814 policies in force at the end of the fourth quarter of 2012, an increase of 19,121 policies in the last twelve months.
Net investment income was $18.2 million compared with net investment income of $19.7 million in the fourth quarter of 2011. The decrease in the fourth quarter of 2012 was primarily related to a slight decrease in yield.Realized gains on investments were $0.5 million compared with $18.2 million in the fourth quarter of 2011. The higher realized gains in 2011 resulted from the strategic re-balancing of our investment portfolio to increase portfolio allocations to taxable fixed income sectors, shorten portfolio duration following the decline in interest rates in the second half of 2011, and increase the allocation of the portfolio to high dividend equity securities. Losses and LAE were $22.8 million compared with $73.0 million in the fourth quarter of 2011. The year over year decrease was primarily related to increased net premiums earned, partially offset by the $73.3 impact of the LPT Reserve Adjustment and the $8.6 million impact of the LPT Contingent Commission Adjustment in the fourth quarter of 2012. Fourth quarter losses and LAE before the LPT were $108.7 million in 2012 compared with $77.8 million in 2011. The current accident year loss provision rate was 76.8% in the fourth quarter of 2012 compared with 77.1% in the fourth quarter of 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV