Where the Klutziest Smartphone Owners Live
Leading that list was Tallahassee, Fla., whose residents lay claim to being the most butter-fingered cellphone owners in the nation. At 21.3% of phones being turned in broken, residents in that otherwise fine city sent the highest percentage of broken cellphones to Gazelle for a trade-in. (New Orleans was next at 21.1%.)
Then there's the Bronx (19.9%) and Staten Island (18.2%), which may get a pass on the klutz factor. Trade-ins were way up, but that could be because of the damaging effects from Hurricane Sandy, which decimate the region in October.
The most sure-handed cellphone owners live out West. Besides New Orleans, only three U.S. cities west of the Mississippi River made Gazelle's "whoops" list -- including Oklahoma City and Memphis -- cities that are more Midwest and South in scope.
Only one city west of the Sierra's made the list: Bakersfield, Calif., which finished third on the list and is likely to be avoided by denizens of less accident-prone neighbors such as San Francisco and San Jose. (Los Angelenos also can keep a grip on their phones.)All may not be lost, however, for slap-happy cellphone handlers in any U.S. city or town. There can be a decent payoff for trading in a broken phone. "They may be klutzy, but they are also smart, since these are the people who are trading in their broken iPhones for cash," notes Sarah Welch, Gazelle's chief marketing officer. "Many people are not aware that there is significant value in their unwanted electronics, even broken smartphones." Welch says even a broken iPhone can be worth some $100, so even if your smartphone hits the pavement head-on, at least there are some dollar signs at the end of your ordeal. Depending whether you're a butter-fingered Bostonian (rounding out the Top 10 at 18.1%) or a techno-klutz from Tallahassee, that could be sooner than you might think.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV